The Victorian Order of Nurses (VON) Canada is the only national, not-for-profit, charitable home and community care organization in Canada. Our nurses, therapists and other health care providers care for Canadians in their own homes. We offer more than 75 home care, personal support, and community services designed to help people of all ages to get healthy and stay healthy. Our team of more than 5,000 staff and 9,000 volunteers serves Canadians in more than 1,200 communities across our country.
At VON Middlesex-Elgin, we work closely with other community partners to ensure that the services we offer match the needs of our community. It’s important to us to nurture positive relationships throughout all aspects of our work.
We make sure that our clients are involved in their care. Guided by a profound respect for others, we believe that people have the right to make their own choices. When we develop a plan of care, we consider a person’s personal and cultural values. We encourage their family members and other caregivers to become partners in the planning and delivery of their care.
We also believe that all people have the right to quality health care regardless of their ability to pay. As a registered charity, we direct donations into funding services helping people.
These are some of the ways that we strive to build healthy communities — one person at a time.
We are a strong voice for the health and well-being
VON advocates on behalf of all people to influence our province's fast-changing health and social services. We join forces with families, communities, governments and other groups looking out for the well-being of Canadians. Our goal, first and foremost, is to ensure that quality health care is available and accessible.
There is no other not-for-profit home and community care organization that provides the level of quality, professional nursing services and the same breadth of community programming as VON. In recognition of our standards of excellence, VON Canada and the Middlesex-Elgin site is accredited by Accreditation Canada.
Did you know?
- VON Middlesex-Elgin is one of the largest employers in the community with over 900 staff that keeps growing to meet the community’s health needs
- VON ensures the community is the best place to live and age in good health with access to over 50 programs and services
- VON Middlesex-Elgin is the largest VON site and has established itself as a leader in community home care and support services since 1906
- The primary goals of VON Community Support Programs & Services are to reduce isolation, promote social interaction with peers, and integrate people into the community to help them live safely and independently in their homes for as long as possible.
- Leader in developing SMART® (Seniors Maintaining Active Roles Together) – a fitness and falls prevention program. It is an innovative exercise program that keeps people healthy and in their homes.
VON Middlesex-Elgin Community Corporation
VON Middlesex-Elgin Community Corporation is a charitable, not-for-profit corporation that acts as the voice of VON Canada in our local community. Volunteer Directors work in partnership with VON staff to build relationships with community members, agencies and other health and social advocates. They also help identify the community’s strengths and unmet health care and social support needs as well as potential solutions. They raise funds, promote and help fund charitable programs and advocate for the community.
The contributions of VON Community Board Directors, who are all volunteers, are vital to the success of VON Canada and the health of individuals and communities.